We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
At first glance, rabbits seem to be cute enough creatures that they simply cannot bite. However, despite the appearance, the animals are very capricious. The behavior of animals directly depends on their character. To determine the character of a pet, it is worth analyzing its behavior. Sometimes pet owners have a question: why exactly does a rabbit bite?
Why does a decorative rabbit bite and growl at its owner?
The appearance of aggression in a pet causes serious anxiety in people. Moreover, in 99% of cases, it is associated with the influence of external factors, which can be completely influenced.
If the rabbit bites, it is most likely trying to defend its territory. In such a situation, the owner needs to show a little patience. First you need to open the door and wait for the rabbit to come out on its own. Then you can clean the cage or play with the animal.
It is important to avoid loud noises and sudden movements. It is recommended to call the animal by name. Do not hang over the animal - it is better to go down one level with him.
Thirst can be the cause of aggression. Most often, it appears when there is a lack of moisture in the feed. It is important to ensure that clean water is present in the drinker.
How does feed affect
The rabbit's daily diet should include twigs, coarse vegetables and hay. If only pellets are used all the time, the animal will try to chew on something. In this case, it can bite the hands of the owner.
During the sexual hunt, the female shows anxiety and concern. She may refuse to eat and show aggression. A male nearby acts similarly. Mature rabbits begin to bite at 4 months - it is at this age that sex hormones act on them.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
To reduce the excitability of animals, it is recommended to castrate them or keep them in pairs.
Aggressive behavior can be caused by a small cell size. In cramped conditions, the animal feels vulnerable. Due to psychological discomfort, the animal can bite its owner.
Also, the behavior of the animal is influenced by bright light in the room or the direct rays of the sun on the cage. The pet feels best in solitude, away from light sources.
Removal of waste products
It is permissible to clean in the cage when the animal is absent from it. Otherwise, it seems to the rabbit that they are encroaching on his space, and rushes at the owner. During cleaning, the animal should be moved to the carrier and released to run.
Microclimate in cells
Under natural conditions, animals spend a lot of time in underground burrows. Optimum humidity and a suitable temperature regime are maintained there - + 14-22 degrees. When keeping animals in an apartment, it is important to ensure that the cage is not located near the batteries and does not stand in a draft.
Rabbits can hardly tolerate heat and dry air. At temperatures above +30 degrees, there is a risk of heat stroke. In the absence of conditioner, cold bottles should be placed in the cage and sprayed with cool water.
If the rabbit becomes aggressive, the development of diseases can be suspected. In such a situation, it is recommended to contact your veterinarian. The development of pathologies is evidenced by symptoms such as general weakness, loss of appetite, and colds.
Sometimes rabbits are attacked by parasites. As a result, the animals experience pain and itching sensations, which makes them aggressive. Another factor is a lack of vitamins. To prevent problems, it is important to provide animals with a varied diet.
How to stop a rabbit from biting
To prevent the rabbit from biting, you should follow these recommendations:
- Do not create stress for the animal. It transforms into fear and can cause aggression. It is forbidden to forcibly pull the animal out of the cage. Do not catch the rabbit or forcibly hold it in your hands.
- Talk to your pet if you want to get closer to the cage. It is better to sit with the animal on the same level and call it by name.
- It is strictly forbidden to kick, beat or vigorously stroke the rabbit. This provokes an increase in his fears.
- If sexual aggression occurs, use medical methods to eliminate the problem. These include sterilization or castration.
- Build trust in the animal. You need to pick him up, give him a treat, stroke him. Under the influence of positive emotions, the animal will begin to trust its owner more.
- Immediately after purchase, put in a cage and do not touch for several days. The animal must adapt to unusual sounds and smells. After a few days, you can try to establish contact.
- If the rabbit rushes about the cage and scatters everything, you need to let him calm down. After which it is recommended to feed him with carrots. Delicious herb is also great.
- If the rabbit has bitten, you need to scream loudly. This will let the animal know that he did the wrong thing. After that, it is recommended several times to clearly say the word "no" and put him in a cage. After a while, the pet will stop biting.
With a rabbit, you need to behave as calmly as possible and do nothing against his will - this will help to avoid the appearance of aggression.
What if the rabbit is bitten before it bleeds?
Rabbit bites are not always safe for humans. Severe fear in a pet can lead to serious injury. Children mostly suffer from animal bites. If your pet has rabies vaccination, you should not worry. In this case, it is recommended to do the following:
- Treat the wound with an antiseptic. Alcohol, brilliant green or iodine is suitable for this purpose.
- Hydrogen peroxide will help stop bleeding. The concentration of the solution should be 3%.
- Bandage the wound with a sterile dressing.
There are dangerous bacteria in the mouth of the animal. However, there are much fewer of them than pets that eat animal food. Therefore, after rabbit bites, the risk of inflammation is much less, especially with timely treatment of the wound with a disinfectant.
In rare situations, the bite area becomes inflamed. This situation often occurs in children due to a weakened immune system. If the area around the wound is swollen or reddened, you should consult your doctor. Most often, experts prescribe ointments and tablets that have antibacterial properties.
It should be borne in mind that animal bites that have not been vaccinated against rabies pose a threat to life. If a rabbit that has not been vaccinated has had contact with wild animals, the rabies virus may be present in its saliva. It poses a threat to humans.
In such a situation, after a bite, you need to immediately rinse the wound with an antiseptic and immediately visit a doctor. The specialist will draw up a vaccination schedule for a bitten person. It is important to adhere to the vaccination schedule. Otherwise, the treatment will not give results.
Decorative rabbits, as a rule, do not show aggression. However, fear can cause them to bite. From the first days it is recommended to teach the pet to the hands. This will help build his trust in the owner and avoid unwanted consequences for all family members.