We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Khorovats is a dish of Armenian cuisine, which is grilled vegetables. The specificity of the recipe is such that the appetizing khorovats stored in jars for the winter is not only tasty, but also healthy - the appetizer retains a maximum of vitamins. And then it can be eaten separately or used, for example, for making soups, stews, salads, filling for stuffing a festive bird.
The translation of the name of the appetizer very accurately reflects the essence of its preparation - “oven on the fire”. The food is laid out on a wire rack over the fire. Thus, they are not only baked, but also exposed to the lightest smoking, acquire a piquancy from the haze. Khorovats made from vegetables is a half "lazy" recipe, because ripe fruits practically do not require preliminary processing, everything is simple with them. Gourmets are given the opportunity to roam when the time comes to put them in banks (and this opportunity will be disclosed later). As for the firewood for the brazier, it is recommended to use birch, linden or oak, from fruit trees (apricot, cherry, apple).
List of ingredients for the recipe
Almost all vegetables that can be grown in the garden in our latitudes (or found on the market) form the "heart" of the Horovats. Eggplant, zucchini, meaty tomatoes, onions and leeks, sweet bell peppers. As a creative experiment, you can add corn, pumpkin, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, carrots, beets.
It is also impressive what can be the final flavoring touch for the preservation of a snack. Theoretically, you can limit yourself to only a small amount of salt or prepare a full and possibly even luxurious filling (which will be discussed later). To prepare this particular recipe, you will need:
- 2 kg eggplant;
- 1 kg of sweet pepper;
- 1.5 kg of tomatoes;
- 500 g leeks;
- 2 heads of garlic;
- refined vegetable oil;
- black peppercorns;
- dry greens of cilantro, parsley and dill;
- fresh sprigs of rosemary.
Selection and preparation of products
Vegetables selected for conservation must be ripe, but not overripe, undamaged or spoiled. In theory, they can lie down a little in the kitchen, but experienced chefs recommend letting them into the khorovats as soon as they are plucked from the garden.
Vegetables must be washed and dried thoroughly.
How to prepare containers
Since khorovats are sterilized at the end of cooking, initially you can do it simply with cans and lids - wash them with hot water and soda and rinse with boiling water.
How to cook khorovats for the winter
To prepare a snack, you need to do the following:
- Place vegetables (sweet peppers, eggplants, onions, tomatoes, garlic) in one layer on a wire rack that closes on both sides and place on the grill. Turn over, watching how they brown, the skin may burn in places - this is normal, remove the vegetables when they are completely soft.
- Cool vegetables and peel. For eggplants and peppers, cut off the stalks, also clean out some of the seeds from the latter, and for tomatoes, cut out hard places at the top.
- Cut all vegetables into the desired size pieces.
- Add a spoonful of salt to the bottom of each jar and throw in a couple of peppercorns.
- Fill the jars with vegetables in any order you want, stack them more tightly. Sprinkle them with dry aromatic herbs little by little.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, and when it starts to smoke, slightly reduce the heat and throw rosemary sprigs into it. After a few minutes, remove them - they have already transferred the taste and aroma into the oil.
- Pour the butter over the jars - all vegetables should be covered. Shake the cans to pour the oil into all the voids between the vegetables.
- Pour 1 tbsp into each jar (about 0.7 L). l. vinegar.
- Place a large pot on the stove, lay an unnecessary kitchen towel on its bottom. Place the lids on the jars loosely and place in the saucepan. Pour hot water - it should reach the banks on the "hangers". Count 15 minutes to sterilize your snack.
- Roll up the covers.
You can put the khorovats in a cellar or a closet for 12 months, the main thing is that the air temperature there does not rise above +18 ° C, and the humidity does not exceed 75%. An open jar must be placed on the shelf of the refrigerator and emptied within 10 days.