We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Peaches are one of the most beloved fruits. They can be found in almost every garden. Often they are grown from seedlings. But it’s much more interesting to get these fragrant southern fruits from almost nothing. Such a miracle happens if you grow a peach tree from seed. This troublesome, but extremely interesting process will be discussed further.
When choosing a peach variety that you want to plant at home, you need to pay attention to the following:
- This fruit must be grown in your area, that is, adapted to the local climate and conditions.
- It is important that it is unpretentious, frost-resistant and not susceptible to specific diseases - powdery mildew, curly leaves, etc.
- It is advisable to plant in the country house several different varieties of these fruits, which differ in taste, which, when ripened at different times, will succeed one another.
- Buying fruits in order to use their seeds for germination in supermarkets is not worth it. For better transportability, these fruits are harvested unripe and hardly anything will grow from their seeds. Therefore, peaches should be bought from gardeners or gardeners.
- For planting, it is better to choose fruits from root-trees, rather than grafted trees, because in the latter, inheritance of parental traits is far from always observed.
Of the early varieties of peaches, they have worked well. Redhaven, Kiev Early. A late grade "Seedling Schlicht" can be grown even in the Urals, where it winters well under snow. Ideal for summer cottages in all these parameters can also be considered peaches "Viktors", "Myra", "Kremlin". All of them produce high and sustainable yields. And the Big Haney peaches are also large.
Bone preparation and germination
First, peach bones are thoroughly washed and dried to prevent them from decaying. Before wintering, they are placed in a box of wet sand, which is placed in a cool place. Sprouts hatching in the spring are transplanted into a pot of earth.
To speed up the process of germination (stratification) of seeds and increase their germination, they are extracted from the seeds, and then kept in a bowl of water for several days. They should be immersed in it only half, so that the embryos of the plants developing in the bones have enough air. Waiting for seed swelling, water is updated every day. And then the sprouts are placed in separate pots with the ground. It is important that their bottoms have openings for draining excess water.
Peach kernels do not have to be germinated indoors. If there is a lot of planting material, then the cultivation of future trees can begin on the garden plot. This should be done in mid-autumn. The stratification of the bones will then take place in vivo. Plants will have time to adapt before spring, undergo hardening and germination tests.
The bones should not be dry. Before planting, they should, as in previous cases, be soaked in water. And then - carefully prick on one side.
It should be remembered that the trees obtained from the seeds begin to bear fruit 2-3 years later than those grown from seedlings. But in the first case, having passed the natural stratification, they will be more resilient and less capricious to various weather conditions.
How to grow a peach from a stone
Landing location and ground
The area where future fruit trees are planted should be sunny, without drafts. The land for them is preferable loose and pre-fertilized with organic matter. In clay soils, in order to avoid stagnation of water, which peach trees do not like, it is better not to plant seeds. For the same reason, it is not advisable to choose lowlands for planting. It’s good if there are some fences next to the trees protecting them from the wind, or a fence.
It is not advisable to plant plants on a site where old trees have recently been uprooted. It’s better to wait two or three years with this. And the land on such a site needs to be dug up especially carefully, removing residual roots and possible garden pests. Especially should be wary of wireworms.
New plantings should be at least 3 meters away from mature trees that can obscure them.
Planting Technology and Care
The process of planting peach seeds is simple:
- the soil is loosened and planted to a depth of 10 centimeters;
- for the convenience of caring for plants, the holes for them are arranged in a row, observing a distance between them of at least 10 cm;
- watering and fertilizing planting is not necessary;
- for the winter this place is covered with grass, leaves, coniferous branches.
In the spring, such protective insulation should be removed, but not completely. Its thin layer will not prevent the germination of seeds and will be a good protection of the soil from drying out.
The emerged seedlings should be abundantly watered, fed with diluted humus, mullein (1 to 5), treated with special remedies for diseases - Tiovit or Radomil.
Also, at the end of the season, young trees need to form a crown, which consists in a small pruning of the apex and the weakest side branches. And next spring, year-old plants, reaching a height of up to a meter, can be transplanted to a permanent place.
Advantages and disadvantages of this method of growing peaches
Growing a peach tree from seed has both advantages and disadvantages. The first include the following factors:
- variety selection: you see and try what you want to get in the end;
- low cost of planting material;
- the best adaptation of plants to local conditions and the vagaries of the weather;
- their great resistance to disease;
- A plentiful and stable crop.
The difficulties and disadvantages of the method are that:
- fruiting of trees occurs several years later than usual;
- in the case of planting breeding and grafted varieties, the result may be worse than expected;
- caring for plants in the initial stage of their growth is more laborious.
On the question of whether it is possible to grow a peach from a seed, most gardeners stand in solidarity - of course, it is possible. But there are some secrets that will help in this interesting experiment:
- So that pests do not start in the bones, it is better to keep them for a month in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.
- Peach is a quick-growing plant. But the specimens obtained from frost-resistant varieties bear fruit earlier than others - mainly in the third year after transplanting to a permanent place.
- Peppermint is a good neighbor for peaches. It restores the microflora of the soil, prevents the stagnation of moisture in it, protects plants from freezing and drying out.
You can update the earth in the pot before planting the seeds in it in this way:
- pour it into a glass jar;
- to fill with water;
- steam in microwave for 10 minutes. This will ensure its sufficient moisture and protection of plants from pests and diseases.
How to shape a peach trunk
Growing peach from the seed is a fascinating process. It requires a lot of patience in anticipation of a miracle, rather laborious. Here we need some knowledge of agricultural technology. But this is a worthwhile business, accessible to every amateur gardener. The result of all your efforts will be truly stunning. Indeed, a tree will grow out of a small bone for decades, steadily bringing many aromatic, tasty fruits.